Some people say it takes 21 days to form a new habit, but I've also heard 28 days. Since I'm stubborn and a slow learner, I'm giving myself a month to establish a new habit. This blog will document each month's habits. Please join me!

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

A Month of Green Smoothies -- Day 1

If you've never heard of or tried a green smoothie, you should.   It's just like any other smoothie with the addition of leafy greens such as spinach, chard, kale, etc.  Milder greens such as spinach and chard don't alter the flavor much at all although kale and other stronger greens can be a more difficult flavor adjustment. 

Daily green smoothies are my first Monthly Habit because they're tasty (usually) and extremely nutritious.  I've been drinking them sporadically for a few years, and want to make them a part of my daily routine.  Drinking coffee every morning is a super easy, so why not drink a smoothie each day.

During this month I'll be tracking my weight, energy level and assessing any other physical changes.  

The basic green smoothie recipe that I'll be following is 
  • 1-2 cups liquid -- water, juice, watery fruit, coconut water, kombucha tea, etc. -- if you prefer a thicker consistency, use ice cubes in place of some or all of the liquid. You can also use way less liquid.  I just happen to like it almost watery. 
  • a couple pieces or cups of fruit -- some or all can be frozen if you want it colder and/or thicker
  • a couple big handfuls of greens -- probably 2-4 cups

Today's green smoothie
This habit will start with a very basic recipe.  I'll make them more interesting as we go along.

2 c water -- should have used less since I had the orange
1 orange
2 bananas -- started with one but the smoothie was too bland
4 gigantic chard leaves


Put everything in the blender.  I generally start with the fruit with the highest water content and top it off with the greens because it seems to blend best for me this way.  If I'm using frozen fruit, that goes on top of everything.



Push go and blend it all up.  Honestly, it was a bit bland and I should have used less water.  This batch made about 4 cups of green smoothie.  Drinking a quart of liquid in one sitting isn't my thing, so I spread it out over a couple of hours. 





My vital stats:
Weight -- Ha! Did you think I was going to post my weight on the internet for the whole world to see?  Not a chance!  I'm at a pretty healthy weight, but would like to be 10 lbs lighter so I'll post any changes I see.

Energy -- I feel great.  But, today I'm excited about my new venture, so it's probably not a valid assessment.

UPDATE:  A lot of people say that their green smoothies make them feel full for hours.  I was hungry within a couple of hours.  I'll try adding something else to tomorrow's smoothie.

One thing you should know is that I don't have a kitchen right now.  It's in the process of being remodeled (an amazingly loooong process, I might add) so my refrigerator is in the dining room and my food prep area is in the spare bathroom.  So, it's not as convenient as being able grab stuff from the fridge, put it in the sink to wash and then cut and blend it up.  My point?  These are so easy to make, other than a loss of power, there's no excuse not to make them.

Come on back tomorrow and I'll show you a new green smoothie creation. 

Disclaimer
Please note that I'm not a nutritionist, physician or any other kind of professional who is trained in nutrition and I'm not providing nutritional advice.   This is just my experience and something I want to try. So, take my experience for what it's worth.  Since your body is different from mine, you may have different results. 

If you want to join me in this green smoothie experiment, leave a comment below.  Even if you're reading this post later this month, year, decade, if I'm still maintaining this blog, I'd love to support you.

2 comments:

  1. I had started doing Tony Ferguson drinking the shakes. I came across your blog and decided the green smoothies would be a lot cheaper and healthier option. I have had green smoothies before and really enjoyed them. I made a shake for breakfast this morning and when I lifted my blender up the bottom fell out so had smoothie all over my kitchen bench and floor. First stop is to get a decent blender. Hopefully I will lose some weight with my GS and daily walking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer about the blender. Hopefully you can get replacement soon and enjoy some green smoothies. Check out this blog for walking and weight loss. It's very inspirational! http://thegirlwhocriedskinny.blogspot.com/

      Delete