Some people say it takes 21 days to form a new habit, but I've also heard 28 days. Since I'm stubborn and a slow learner, I'm giving myself a month to establish a new habit. This blog will document each month's habits. Please join me!

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Green Smoothie Habit -- Day 2 -- Peachs & Cream Pie

Oh my goodness, today's smoothie was outstanding!  It tasted like dessert in a glass and was a fabulous start to an otherwise frustrating morning (Sears' appliance installation department is a disaster!).  In fact, this is one of the best smoothies I've ever made.  I added a container of Greek yogurt in hopes that it would stick with me longer than yesterday's did.


Today's  Peaches & Cream Pie "green" smoothie

1 1/2 cup water
6 oz container of greek yogurt -- Trader Joe's
2 nectarines
two big handfuls of beet greens
2 medjool dates
dash of cinnamon

 I blended it and this is the "green" smoothie that emerged.

There was enough red in the beet greens so that it doesn't look green at all.  This is a good way to sneak greens into smoothies without anyone knowing they're there.


Dates are a natural sweetener  to offset tart fruit or yogurt.  It's about the same amount of carbs as sugar or honey, but has fiber which is always good. The cinnamon was a nice touch and added some depth of flavor.  The Trader Joe's Honey Greek Yogurt has 14 g of protein, 13 g of sugar and 120 calories. If I'd used my Vanilla Spirutein powder, it would have been 14 g of protein, 8 g of sugar and 99 calories.  In spite of a few more calories, I prefer the yogurt's healthy bacteria and I believe it's closer to its original form that protein powder is.  Plus, there's no gritty texture. 

If the rest of this month's smoothies are even close to this tasty, I'm going to be one happy gal!

No comments:

Post a Comment