Some people say it takes 21 days to form a new habit, but I've also heard 28 days. Since I'm stubborn and a slow learner, I'm giving myself a month to establish a new habit. This blog will document each month's habits. Please join me!

Friday, August 3, 2012

Green Smoothie Habit -- Day 3 -- Green Smoothie Nutrition

One of the primary reasons that I'm getting into the green smoothie habit is that they are packed with nutrients.  The Harvard School of Public Health recommends 5 to 13 servings of fruits and vegetables a day.  That comes out to at least 2 cups of fruit and  2 1/2 cups of vegetables.  The caveat is that 2 cups of raw greens counts as one cup of veges. 

So if my smoothie has at least 1-2 servings of fruit and at least 2 servings of vegetables, it's a pretty easy way to meet my daily requirements.  And it tastes good too -- at least most of the time. 

According to the USDA, one cup of raw greens such as spinach, swiss chard, collard greens, or beet greens contains
  • less than 10 calories
  • more than 1 gram of fiber -- good for feeling full and helping the whole digestive process
  • more than 40% of your RDA for Vitamin A -- antioxidant, immune boosting, fantastic for pregnant and nursing mothers, and a whole lot more
  • Vitamin C -- immune system, cardiovascular and maybe even wrinkle reduction
  • A TON  of Vitamin K -- almost 200% of your RDA  -- in addition to helping blood clot and strengthening bones, there's some information that claims it helps reduce PMS.  I don't know if this is true, but wouldn't that be great!?
  • Calcium -- some claim it's more easily absorbed than the calcium in milk.  I have no idea what's accurate, but it doesn't hurt to make sure
  • and a multitude of other vitamins and minerals

Today's Mojito Green Smoothie

Mojitos are one of my favorite cocktails and this was a pretty good rendition of one.

1-2 cups water
2 Fuji apples
juice of one lime -- approx 3 TBSP
Sprig of mint which had approx 8 leaves on it
4 large leaves of Swiss Chard -- 3-4 cups packed
2 dates

This works out to about six servings of fruits and vegetables.  


Energy level is pretty good today.  Now I have to leave my house because the final coat of the kitchen floor finish is being applied.  Stinky!


No comments:

Post a Comment