Some people say it takes 21 days to form a new habit, but I've also heard 28 days. Since I'm stubborn and a slow learner, I'm giving myself a month to establish a new habit. This blog will document each month's habits. Please join me!

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Green Smoothie Habit -- Days 20 & 21 -- Sweet and Savory

The last two green smoothies have been home runs.  Maybe it was the simplicity of the ingredients.  Maybe it was because I was listening to my body and what it wanted at the moment.  Who knows. 
 Anyway, yesterday's was a savory smoothie which I made using the leftover stuff that was in my blender after making pesto and then adding a couple of tomatoes and chard.

Day 20 -- Pesto Smoothie

The recipe for the pesto was:
3 cups basil
slice of lemon
2 cloves garlic
handful of almonds
1/2 Tbsp salt
enough olive oil to mix it up

After scooping the pesto out of the blender jar, to the stuff that was left in the jar I added
2 tomatoes
3 chard leaves

It was good!  I was having a salt craving and this helped satisfy it. 

You'll notice that there's no Parmesan or any other cheese in my pesto.  Hubbie is allergic to most cheeses, so I found a vegan recipe that we all like.  Normally I use walnuts for their omega-3 power, but was out, so substituted almonds. 

Day 21 -- Watermelon Peach Green Smoothie

 
This one was easy and very good.

1-2 cups watermelon chunks
1 peach
several leaves of butter lettuce

That was it.  Nothing else.  It made one glassful of deliciousness and took the edge off my sweet craving.  Granted, these are both very sweet fruits, but this comes in at under 150 calories, zero fat and assorted nutrients.  A classic chocolate candy bar from Pennsylvania is over 200 calories and 13 grams of fat.  This is not to say that a smoothie will always take care of a chocolate craving, but it's a good start.

Observations
I'm not losing any weight and my energy level isn't improved, but a couple of things have been interesting.

Night time snacking is less frequent when I have a smoothie in the afternoon.  My dinner portions are smaller too.  I'll continue with afternoon smoothies, which may lead to a couple pounds of weight loss.

Monthly symptoms  OK, maybe this was coincidence, but I didn't get the usual headache that I get around "that time" of the month.  I also didn't notice as many PMS symptoms.  There is some evidence indicating that Vitamin K helps alleviate PMS, etc. 

This makes me wonder if green smoothies have individualized benefits based on what's lacking in a person's diet.  Since I already ate reasonably well and had a couple green smoothies a week prior to this month, maybe  the overall effect on my is less.  On someone who rarely ate fruits and vegetables, the results may be totally different. 

No comments:

Post a Comment