Some people say it takes 21 days to form a new habit, but I've also heard 28 days. Since I'm stubborn and a slow learner, I'm giving myself a month to establish a new habit. This blog will document each month's habits. Please join me!

Friday, September 21, 2012

Daily Exercise Habit -- Days 12-20 -- Consistency and Commitment

Much to my surprise, I've exercised EVERY SINGLE DAY in September so far.  There were a couple of times when I didn't want to, but was glad that I did.  It's definitely becoming a habit.  In fact, one day I was going to skip it, but by 7:30 pm, I just didn't feel right and had to take a walk.  So, here's what I've done.


Day 12 -- Core work and light upper body weights -- I hurt for 3 days after that. Must need to do more.

Day 13 -- Walked the dog for an hour at a moderately brisk pace.  We covered more than 3 miles.

Day 14 -- Walked the dog at "sniffing pace" for 25 minutes.

Day 15-- Walked almost 2 hours and almost 7 miles!  According to my half-marathon training plan, it was supposed to be 5-6 miles but we got a bit carried away.  For a brief moment I was worried about whether this was good for the dog.  Then I realized that if a 48 year old human can do it, a 3 1/2 year old dog can.  Silly me. 

Day 16 -- A brief 15 minute walk.  This was the one that I felt compelled to go on, in spite of myself. 

Day 17 -- 40 minute dog walk

Day 18 -- Walk dog for an hour doing interval work.  Fitbit said it was 7226 steps and about 3.5 miles. 

Day 19 --  Walked my dog and a friend's dog for 40ish minutes.  The other dog had been stuck at home for a couple weeks following his owner's surgery.  He was eager to sniff and explore. 

Day 20 --   Walk dog 4 miles in 70 minutes.  I tried a slow jog for about 100 yards to see if my knee thought it would be ok.  It felt tight later in the day, so it's not in the cards for now.

Today is day 21 and I haven't done anything yet.  Can't break the routine though. 

Observations:
  • I want to do some additional core and weight work. Walking is great, but not enough.
  • Setting the goal of walking a half-marathon is a fantastic motivator. 
  • Still feeling good energy levels throughout the day if I've exercised in the morning. 
  • The biggest success has been my son telling me that he's impressed with my consistency and commitment.  Even if there were no other benefits to my daily exercise habit, that comment made it all worthwhile. 

I also decided to start counting my Weight Watchers food and activity points. Exercise alone just doesn't do it considering a 3 mile walk is about the equivalent of two chocolate chip cookies.   I'm only a couple days into it, but looking forward to my clothes fitting more comfortably.  Check back for more info about that.
 
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment