Some people say it takes 21 days to form a new habit, but I've also heard 28 days. Since I'm stubborn and a slow learner, I'm giving myself a month to establish a new habit. This blog will document each month's habits. Please join me!

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Daily Exercise Habit -- Days 8-9 -- Goin' to the Dogs

OK, really I was just walking the dog. She's a 3 1/2 year-old hyper black lab.  Yesterday, which was Saturday, we walked 4.66 miles and according to my Fitbit, I burned 600 calories.  Today we walked 5.5 miles most of which was the same route as yesterday with a little extra thrown in.  The floor counter on my Fitbit wasn't working right today and it said I'd only done 10 floors, which was way wrong.  Yesterday it said I did 35.  Nevertheless, I walked and walked and it felt like a great accomplishment. 

The added bonus was that the dog slept in two, count 'em two! additional hours this morning.  That didn't seem to slow her down on today's walk, though.  Our vet says that labs can go forever and that's definitely the case with Java.

This got me wondering about whether there were any weight loss programs based on dog walking. Although I didn't find any specific programs, there was an interesting study where people who walked a dog lost an average of 14 lbs in a year.  "The dog-walkers in the study started by walking 10 minutes per day three times per week and eventually walked up to 20 minutes per day 5 days per week. One group walked for 50 weeks while another walked for only 26 weeks."  You'll be shocked to learn that ultimately, the group that walked for 50 weeks lost more than those in the 26 week program.  Oops, my sarcastic tone might have come through there. 

The endorphins started getting a little overactive by the end of today's walk and I started thinking about walking a half-marathon in a couple months.  I ran this same half-marathon 9 years ago.  Am I willing to put in the hours of training to walk it?  It takes a lot longer to walk 13.1 miles than it does to run it.  Oy!

Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment